Join a Policy Work Group for this Committee
Interested in what this committee does or have relevant subject matter expertise? Join one of our Policy Work Groups today.
House of Delegates Committee on Counties, Cities and Towns
The Counties, Cities and Towns Committee deals with policy issues affecting the administrative functions, powers, and abilities of counties, cities, and towns. This includes changes to locality charters and local taxing authorities.
Committee Chair: Delegate Keith Hodges
Committee Members: Hodges (Chair), Morefield (Vice Chair), McNamara, LaRock, Wyatt, Avoli, Ballard, Cherry, Scott, P.A., Cordoza, March, Wachsmann, Mullin, Roem, Gooditis, Kory, Subramanyam, Jenkins, Williams Graves, Sewell, Bennett-Parker, Shin
The following bills have been reported out of the House Counties, Cities and Towns Committee for 2022.
- HB 1 South Hill, Town of; amending charter, reflects shift from May to November municipal elections.
- HB 2 Victoria,Town of; amending charter, reflects shift from May to November municipal elections.
- HB 32 Bath County; fee for solid waste disposal.
- HB 52 Tazewell, Town of; amending charter, increases term length for members of board of zoning appeals.
- HB 60 Economic development authority; Town of Louisa may appoint from 5 to 7 members to serve.
- HB 83 St. Charles, Town of; termination of township.
- HB 161 Grottoes, Town of; new charter, previous charter repealed.
- HB 164 Colonial Beach, Town of; amending charter, appointment of chief of police.
- HB 167 Localities; publication of notice in newspaper.
- HB 173 Martinsville, City of; approval of voters before city can revert to town status.
- HB 190 Charter; Town of Urbanna.
- HB 218 Clarksville, Town of; amending charter, municipal elections.
- HB 219 Kenbridge, Town of; amending charter, municipal elections.
- HB 220 Blackstone, Town of; amending charter, elections.
- HB 267 Taxes, local; surplus revenues.
- HB 272 Local land use approvals; extension of approvals to address the COVID-19 pandemic.
- HB 277 Recovery residences; disclosure to potential residents that residence is certified.
- HB 315 Roanoke, City of; amending charter, municipal elections.
- HB 321 Norfolk, City of; amending charter, municipal elections.
- HB 339 Falls Church, City of; amending charter, qualifications of members of boards and commissions.
- HB 377 Charitable institutions and associations; local appropriations to faith-based organizations.
- HB 437 Localities; public meeting during state project planning phase.
- HB 443 Park authorities; authority to operate, etc., electric vehicle charging stations.
- HB 445 High-speed broadband service; expanding to new residential & commercial development.
- HB 454 Chesapeake, City of; amending charter, operating budget.
- HB 548 Chesapeake, City of; local government authority to require analysis of water.
- HB 556 Bristol, City of; amending charter, election of councilmembers, etc.
- HB 596 Rent stabilization, local; any locality may by ordinance adopt provisions.
- HB 616 Zoning appeals, board of; funding.
- HB 648 Comprehensive plan; public hearing.
- HB 670 Independent policing auditor; county manager plan of government.
- HB 698 License taxes; exemptions.
- HB 700 Vienna, Town of; amending charter, election and term dates.
- HB 710 Local government; hiring people with disabilities.
- HB 822 Occoquan, Town of; new charter, previous charter repealed except section 2.
- HB 902 Augusta County; removal of county courthouse, authorization by electorate.
- HB 904 Pound, Town of; repealing Charter, effective date.
- HB 951 Real estate; general reassessment, intervals for certain counties.
- HB 961 Cemeteries; registration, publication prior to sale.
- HB 1028 Lovettsville, Town of; amending charter, town officers and powers.
- HB 1070 Fund to Assist Localities with Translation of Essential Information; established.
- HB 1088 Planning; definition of subdivision boundary line agreement.
- HB 1163 Virginia Beach, City of; amending charter, expands board of equalization.
- HB 1170 Appomattox, Town of; amending charter, election and appointment of officers.
- HB 1194 Industrial Development and Revenue Bond Act; affordable housing grants.
- HB 1256 Chase City, Town of; amending charter, municipal elections.
- HB 1258 La Crosse, Town of; amending charter, municipal elections.
- HB 1268 Local government self-insurance pools; amends certain provisions relating to pools, definition.
- HB 1271 Virginia Regional Industrial Facilities Act; localities revenue sharing agreements.
- HB 1311 Waynesboro, City of; elections and appointments.
- HB 1325 Local governments; additional powers, Commercial Property Assessed Clean Energy financing programs.
- HB 1362 Short-term rentals; localities’ ability to restrict.